Search This Blog

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Wk 2 Comment 2 - Sue Parler



It didn’t take long for me to get hooked on the required reading, “The Art of Possibility” for my Month 11 class, Media Asset Creation. When I got to page 4 and read…

Standard social and business practices are built on certain assumptions - shared understandings that have evolved from older beliefs and conditions. And while circumstances have changed since the start of these practices, their continued use tends to reconfirm the old beliefs. For this reason our daily practices feel right and true to us regardless if they have evolved to keep up with the pace of change.

…I mentally exclaimed “Bingo!”, logged on to Amazon and bought eight additional copies – one for each administrator and academic dean at my high school. Then I bought the audiobook for me.

That one passage sums up what I have been saying for the past six years. My line has always been, “Geometry concepts may not have changed since the days of Euclid, but the students sitting in front of you have. Therefore, the content delivery must change to keep up with those students.” Sure, you’ve always done it that way – and yes, it may still work, but perhaps – just perhaps – there is another way that may really excite your students and, at the same time, get you re-stoked as well. Win-win.

The next bookmark came on page 46 (which is not to say that from 5-45 there were no aha! moments, just no bookmarks)…

How often do we stand convinced of the truth of our early memories, forgetting that they are assessments made by a child?

…Broccoli.

Yes, broccoli. I don’t know if I ever really had tried broccoli. But somewhere, I made the judgment that I didn’t like it. I consciously, yet graciously, declined all offers of the little green florets for all of my adult life…until two years ago. I went on some boxed diet plan and broccoli (although not listed among the ingredients, or surely I would have avoided that purchase) was sprinkled throughout the meal. Unavoidable. I scraped and pushed as much as I could, but some of that green stuff leapt upon the fork anyway – I had to eat it. Clearly, there’s no climax to the story here – I found it quite tasty and now actually rejoice to find broccoli as the vegetable of the day anytime I dine out.

So what have I learned? Clearly, I've learned to re-examine my judgments. To ask, "Why do I think that?". And to ask - was the reasoning ever valid? If so, is it still valid? And to make a choice - a conscious choice - from there.

Another point well made by the Zanders was that of “survival thinking”. I get caught up in this all the time. Someone asks a simple question and my first thought is “What’s the real question?” Someone pays I compliment, and I think “What does he really want?”. I’m sure I was not born paranoid, but I have evolved into being so. And yes – a valuable, but limited resource – energy – is dramatically taxed in an effort to remain so paranoid. It would behoove me, and make others around me happier, if I re-directed that energy in a more positive fashion. I’ll try. But just as it states on page 4 – those daily practices feel right and true. I’ve become accustomed to the paranoia and don’t even recognize it as such.

The competency ladder (and numerous other labels for the theory) is attributed to many possible authors. I prescribe to the theory. Prior to reading, I could easily describe myself as unconsciously incompetent – paranoid, and not really knowing it. I need to put what I’m thinking and feeling and making appropriate changes on my learning spectrum. In doing so I’ll climb to the second rung of the ladder: being consciously incompetent – paranoid and knowing it. The next step will require that I make a conscious effort to relax – consciously competent. Sooner or later, the hope is to reach the top rung of the ladder: unconsciously competent – relaxed, open and not having to think about being so. It’s a long journey. And I shall slip back often. But, eventually, I’ll get there.

Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ykjc9/2579890315 Creative Commons License


My Comments to Sue Parler:

Sue,
You made a really great point about the broccoli. It is funny that you mentioned your broccoli story because I also did not like broccoli when I was growing up however now I love it. The transition for me was when I decided to be more open about the taste rather then my prejudgements about the vegetable. I have witnessed these same transitions with my own step daughter as well. There are many things that she doesn't eat and most times it is all about the way it is made.  For example she loves french fries but will not eat potatoes, however she failed to realize that french fries are made from potatoes.  When you ask her why she doesn't like potatoes she just replies "I don't know. I just don't like them."  This statement shows that she is telling herself that she doesn't like potatoes, therefore she has no other option then to not like potatoes. Once she lowers her defense and reservations about potatoes, she will probably find that she likes them.  This same process happened with Cheese about 2 years ago and now she likes cheese.
It is really interesting to look at how we comprehend and set limits on ourselves. Our assessments and thoughts change with the different experiences that we have, and it is important for us to ask ourselves the question of "why am I thinking this way?" You have made some great points in your reading response and I love your creative response to the assigned reading.  Nice work Sue!

No comments:

Post a Comment