Search This Blog

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Wk 2 Free Response


The Power of Performance



I have been performing my whole life.  Whether it was acting, singing, or doing magic I have been blessed with the ability to entertain others.  I often forget how much joy I can bring to others by simply showing a few magic tricks or singing a quick song.

I received the news that a friend of mine had passed away in a car accident just a few weeks ago.  Her boyfriend was driving and she was in the passenger seat when they hydroplaned and hit a tree.  They were both pronounced dead at the scene of the accident.  She was only 20 years old and she was the youngest of her 2 other sisters.

My wife and I are both good friends with her family and being a father, I could not imagine what her parents were going through.  It has been a hard couple of weeks for everyone.  My wife and I decided to visit her family last night to see how everyone was doing. I brought a deck of cards and some coins hoping to bring some joy and excitement.  Courtney’s sisters and mother were hanging out with some other friends as we arrived.  Her father was in bed and wanted to be by himself until he heard that I had arrived and was performing magic. He specifically got out of bed to hang out with everyone so that he could watch some tricks. It was great to see him smile and enjoy himself as I bent forks and put coins in bottles.  His wife later thanked me for entertaining because that was the first time that she had seen him smile since his daughter had passed away.

We all have different strengths and talents and it is important that we continue to share these gifts with others.  Sometimes we can forget about our influences on others and the joy and happiness we can create.  I am so grateful that god has blessed me with my talents and experiences like these help me to understand why I worked so hard to perfect my craft.  

No comments:

Post a Comment